Sunday, June 30, 2013

Bumble and Bumble Has a Lock on Tousled Hair

When I popped into the salon for a bang trim last week, Alis, my stylist/miracle worker, introduced me to it. She called it her favorite product from the Bumble and Bumble line.

Designed for all hair types, it’s a thick, flexible hold styling creme for lived-in, tousled, messily undone looks, and this is neat - it dries to a matte finish (kinda different!).

bumble and bumble texture

I didn't think I needed another hair styling product in my life, but I’m glad I found this one. I've been using it for about a week to tame my bangs and lift my roots at the crown, and damn - I love it.

Right away I liked the light, beach scent, but I was a little unsure about the texture. It’s thick AND sticky. When it dries, though, it doesn't feel sticky at all, and it leaves my hair touchable soft with flexible hold.

Now, this isn't one of those products you can just throw on and go; you do have to jump through a few hoops to help it reach its potential.



The first hoop, Alis says, is to use it on damp hair. The slippery wet strands help distribute the product more evenly. Alis likes to go a step further by applying a spray-on conditioner first, like Bumble & Bumble Prep or Tonic ($18 each). I prefer Tonic, which is Bumble’s “heavier” spray conditioner, on my thick, course hair.

Next, squeeze a small amount of Texture into your palm (I use an amount about the size of a quarter), and distribute and thin it by rubbing both hands together. Now, really work the product into your hair, trying to coat the strands. It may even help to use a comb along with your fingers and hands.

I concentrate on my bangs and the roots in my crown area, but you can also concentrate on the ends, too, like the demonstration in this Bumble styling video.

Alis recommends using a blow dryer to get more volume and better hold than air drying alone, and I agree.
When I use it on my bangs and crown, I get some great height, and my bangs don’t stick out in crazy directions.

bumble and bumble texture

Oh, and if I skip washing my hair for a few days after, I can reactivate the product with a spritz of Bumble and Bumble Tonic. Just hit it with the hair dryer, tousle and you’re ready to strike a pose.


The product does contain dimethicone, in case you’re trying to avoid silicone, but it is listed about half way down the ingredient list. I try to steer clear of silicone styling products because some tend to weigh down my hair, but I like this so much that I’m willing to take that chance. Thank goodness for clarifying shampoos.

No comments:

Post a Comment